The majority of people never give specialists a thought. You may assume that if you need a specialist, your general dentist will refer you. However, that is not always the case. Many general dentists are able to adequately perform a wide range of services that may overlap the expertise of a specialist. A periodontist in The Woodlands, TX, for example, is a dentist with an additional three years of training in periodontal and bone health. A periodontist also performs specialty procedures, such as laser gum surgery, bone grafts, and dental implants, hundreds to thousands of times per year. This experience with procedures and familiarity with outcomes is invaluable when you are concerned about restoring healthy gums.
Benefits of Seeing a Periodontal Specialist
- · Expertise in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum disease
- · Increased knowledge in the area of bone health and implant placement
- · Enhanced patient education, with regard to how periodontal and bone health affect overall health
- · Continuing education in bone and periodontal health in order to offer cutting edge treatments and information
- · Experience from performing similar specialty treatments every single day
- · Ability to treat and/or reconstruct even the most complex or severe cases of periodontal disease, bone loss, or tooth loss.
- · Improved diagnostic abilities
- · More reliable post-procedure outcomes
Types of Dental Specialists
All dentists first receive general education and training in all areas of dentistry, while specialists choose to continue training in an area, investing an additional two to six years in their education. There are currently nine dental specialties: dental public health, endodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics, pediatric dentistry, Periodontics, and prosthodontics.
If you suffer from periodontal disease and would like to have healthy gums, call our office to schedule an appointment with our periodontist in The Woodlands, TX. Dr. Gayle Bradshaw is a specialist who would be happy to discuss your concerns in a new patient consultation.
Currently rated by 0 people